Thursday, September 30, 2010

A day in the life of the flower lady...

Upon walking into the shop, I check my mail(both email and postal), faxes, and sales from the previous day. I compare my sales to the day previous year and am sure to note if there was a large funeral piece or wedding in the same week/day for last year.
I then evaluate the current days orders and the following days orders. What needs to be done first due to time, and what can be done later in the day; always ensuring the customer is receiving the freshest and most beautiful work we can accomplish.
Then I check the floor. I check each plant for water by finger testing the soil. If it is dry, depending on the plant, it gets a little or a lot of water. It is extremely important to retain knowledge of the product so as to give the best and freshest product available to the customer. How I take care of my merchandise ultimately transtlates into sales.
After I check all plants, I check the design case. I check each vase and foamed arrangement for water and re-design as needed. Then I check the open air case. I ensure each bouquet is in water and each single stem isn't overcrowded or smashed. In between all of the checking, redesigning, and filling I often wait on customers.
Customer are the biggest emphasis in my shop. It doesn't matter what myself or my clerks are doing. We are to stop whatever we're doing and assist them in the most efficient manner. These duties could include, blowing up balloons, designing on the fly, recommendation for a particular event, explaining Care and Handling requirments for a specific item, or even gardening tips for them at home. It is extremely important to me that my customers feel comfortable in asking questions and that they are aware that we are very familiar with our products and services.
On occasion, I may be required to have a consultation with a bride to discuss her upcoming nuptuals. This is a stressful time for her so I try to create a comforting and detailed meeting with her. We will often sit in the cafe and go into detail her hopes and dreams involving flowers, balloons, decorations, and colors.
This is my typical day. I repeatedly check the floor, merchandise, assist customers, and consider upcoming holidays. There are always a million items on my agenda each day but never knowing what may happen next, design wise, makes the job that more enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment